Mojito cupcakes have been on my baking list for a while now, so when I saw Nicole’s Mojito cupcake post on Instagram the other day, I knew I needed to make them pronto!
Looking through my cabinets and refrigerator for ingredients I was pleasantly surprised I had everything to make these delicious gems! I did need to tweak the recipe a bit. I swapped out the gluten flour for cake flour, almond milk for whole milk, and non-dairy butter for regular butter. I know, I know, I said I had all the ingredients, but I really wanted these cupcakes and knew I could make them with what I had. I was really happy with the outcome of these yummy treats, and I’m pretty sure you will be too!
If you have an intolerance for gluten or dairy, swap them for gluten and dairy free products 1:1.
Nicole also had little rum shooters injected into her cupcakes :). I’m sure her cupcakes tasted a bit more like the real deal with those shooters…oh well, maybe next time.
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) golden granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) baking olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole milk
- 1½ cups (210 grams) cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners in a 12 cup cupcake tin.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and egg white, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add the oil, vanilla, and lime juice and zest, and continue beating on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until well combined.
- Pour in the milk and beat on low speed to combine, then add the flour mixture to the batter. Mix again on low speed just until almost combined.
- Remove bowl from stand and gently fold with a spatula until no large streaks of flour remain. be careful not to overmix.
- Fill the cupcakes liners 3/4 full. Bake for 13-16 minutes, until the tops are lightly golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups (300 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1–2 tablespoons white rum (optional)* Milk can be used
- small mint leaves & lime wedges, for garnish
To make the frosting, place the butter in a standing mixer with a whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape sides of mixing bowl and whisk and beat for 1 more minute.
Add confectioners’ sugar and salt and 1 tablespoon of the rum (or milk). Beat on medium/high for 1 minute. Add remaining tablespoon of rum (or milk) and mint extract. *Milk can be used in place of the rum
Mix on high for 1 more minute. Scrape mixing bowl and whisk.
Transfer frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Frost cupcakes, then top with small mint leaves and a lime wedge! Enjoy!!
I hope you try this recipe, and if you do, tag me on Instagram @goodeatsbymimi. I would love to hear from you and see your photos!
Recipe inspired by Nicole @goldengracekitchen