These buttery, crumbly, cream filled, melt in your mouth cookies are so delicious and so easy to make too! You can make them using homemade syrup or store bought. The spices in the syrup and the cinnamon in the dough make these treats taste so festive, but you could enjoy them any time of the year, that’s for sure!
If you are going to be make the gingerbread syrup, you might want to make it ahead of time and let it cool and let the flavors come together:).
Gingerbread Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 cup (240 grams) water
- 1 cup (230 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Instructions for Gingerbread Syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, add the water & brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the vanilla) and bring to a slow boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer and allow to reduce until mixture turns into a syrupy consistency (about 15-20 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain over fine mesh sieve or a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Allow syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Place in container with a lid, and store in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. Shake well before using.
Ingredients for Gingerbread Whirls:
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (175 grams), softened
- 1/3 cup (55 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted – plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon fine kosher salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) gingerbread syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 cups (300 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 stick (30 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ounce (30 grams) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons gingerbread syrup
Instructions for baking cookies:
Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
In a mixing bowl cream the butter and confectioners’ sugar for 2 minutes. Add the gingerbread syrup and cinnamon and mix until combined. Add the flour and salt, and mix until smooth and forms a soft dough.
Place the dough into a pastry bag and pipe 1½-inch swirls (or rosettes), with a large star tip, onto the prepared baking sheets. Put in freezer for 10 minutes before baking. This will help the cookie hold its shape while baking
You should get 30 rosettes with this recipe (15 filled cookies).
Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the filling:
Beat together the confectioners’ sugar, butter, cream cheese and gingerbread syrup until light and creamy. Put the filling in a piping bag with a small star tip. Pipe a swirl of icing on the flat side of half of the cookies and top with the remaining un-iced cookies.
Dust the tops with a little confectioners’ sugar. Enjoy!!
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
I hope you make these yummy sandwich cookies, and if you do, please tag me on Instagram @goodeatsbymimi. I would love to hear from you and see your pictures!