I have always enjoyed coffee cake. There’s something comforting in sitting down with a nice hot cup of coffee (or tea), and a slice of mouthwatering blueberry coffee cake. The lemon juice and zest are a pleasant choice along with the plump blueberries . Don’t even get me started on the scrumptious streusel topping. That extra little crunch in every bite…oh dear! You need to make this! In these different and difficult times, this cake will be like a little “hug” (who couldn’t use one of those right about now?).
You could replace the blueberries with any fruit of your liking. Trust me, this coffee cake is delish:)!!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190 grams)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 grams)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (57 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons fine kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (220 grams) + 1 tablespoon flour
- Zest of 1 lemon (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (120 grams) + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (42 grams)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (70 grams)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (57 grams)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Toss blueberries with a tablespoon of flour and set aside.
Zest one lemon. Squeeze 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and add it to 1/2 cup of milk. The milk will be added alternately with flour mixture.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8″ square pan with baking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar on high speed for one minute. Scrape down sides of bowl and paddle. Add egg, lemon zest, and vanilla bean extract. Mix until fully combined.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter and sugar mixture alternating with milk. Beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mixing just until combined.
Fold blueberries into batter and spread in prepared pan.
Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place pan on cooling rack and cool completely. Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!!
I hope you make this, and if you do, please tag me @goodeatsbymimi. I would love to see your photos:)!