This is such an easy dessert, AND it can be made two ways. You can make it in trifle form, or rustic and beautiful on a plate. The choice is yours, but I promise you, either way, you will not be disappointed:)!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (190 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine kosher salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (130 grams)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, (57 grams) room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk (120 grams), room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare 8″ (or 9″) square pan with baking spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl and paddle. Add the egg and vanilla bean extract and mix well. Alternate the dry ingredients and the milk (beginning and ending with the dry ingredients). Mix just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- While cake is baking, whip heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble your trifle (or shortcake).
- Remove cake from oven when finished baking and place on cooling rack (in the pan), and cool completely.
- Cut cake into 9 pieces. Split cake and cut into chunks. Place 1/2 of the cake chunks in the bottom of trifle glass. Top with some of the strawberries and a dollop of the whipped cream. Repeat again with cake, strawberries and whipped cream. Enjoy!
You can also make a strawberry shortcake dessert. Split cake and fill with a dollop of whipped cream and strawberries. Top with more cake, whipped cream and strawberries. Either way, this is a refreshing and comforting dessert.
I hope you make this delicious dessert. Please tag me on Instagram @goodeatsbymimi if you do. I would love to see your pictures!