I have always been a fan of crumb cake, and after trying this recipe, you will be too. I really like the crumb to cake ratio…yum!
There are a lot of different recipes out there for NY style crumb cake. Some use sour cream or whole milk instead of buttermilk. All-purpose flour is used in some recipes. I like the texture the cake flour gives this cake. The structure holds up to the topping while still having a light texture. Cake or all-purpose flour can be used in the crumb topping.
This New York-Style crumb cake was a hit at my bakery. I only sold it on weekends, and it would be gone as fast as I could put it out!!
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (67 grams)
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar (75 grams)
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (110 grams)
- 1 ¾ cups cake (or all-purpose) flour (240 grams)
- 1 ¼ cups cake flour (170 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (85 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup buttermilk (82 grams)
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting